Sunday, April 13, 2008

...a new game

I read an article once about a couple who were married for many years and they would go out into nature, on a walk, etc and they would play a game.  The game that they played has really stirred my affections for God and caused me to slow down and see Him at work all around me.

First, take a look at Romans 1:19-20, "They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them.  For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature.  So they have no excuse for not knowing God".

...This is where the game begins.  This is where the conversation starts.  The game is seeing the nature of God and how He is working continuously in the world around us.  The husband in the article would see a falcon and then ask his wife how the falcon reflected God's nature and she would reply "God's freedom because the falcon can not be contained".

...or the wife would see a line of worker ants and her husband would comment on God's faithfulness because just as the ants faithfully seek out food and supplies, so does God faithfully seek out, provide for, and redeem his chosen people.

Julie and I find ourselves playing this game as we drive through the flat Texas plains and are amazed at a sunset, and we both see the beauty of God.  Or maybe we see a perfectly clear sky where stars go on for miles and stand amazed and the unchangingness of God.  I found myself walking around TCU and slowing down long enough to actually see God's creation.  I write this not to make myself sound holy.  I continually fail to give God the glory that he deserves and I have missed seeing his characteristics in nature more times than I would ever care to remember.

I write this instead to encourage all of us to slow down, take a breath, and see the world as what it is...God's beautiful creation.  Sure, there are a lot of things that are messed up...but thats our fault, its not the way that God intended for it to happen.  But if you slow down, you can see God's amazing fingerprints everywhere.  Can you see them?  Look closely...what do you see?

Well, thats all I have for now.  I implore you to slow down.  It is worth it.  Thats my take.
-BD


No comments: