Thursday, April 24, 2008

...a man's guide to mysteries

This post can also be found at the Katy Budget Books blog where I am a new contributer.

Several guys have asked me, what's a good book that will keep me entertained throughout?  They usually go on to say that they don't like to read or get bored easily because its never is as good as 24 or Gladiator.  This pains me because there are some amazing books out there that men of all ages will absolutely love....and ladies, they would make great gifts as well...and you might like them too.  These authors are just the tip of the iceberg and I will add to this list regularly.  Read on and enjoy.

A Man’s Guide to Mysteries

 1. Harlan Coben (stand alones)

…Tell No One, Just One Look, The Woods

 The current King of suspense…bar none.  Coben has already claims the top 2 spots on my list because he is just that good.  I would argue that he is among the best to ever master this genre.  His books beautifully weave epic suspense, brilliant humor, dry sarcasm, and fun into a wild ride.  If you have never read Coben…I only have one question…why not?  His absolute best is Tell No One…check it out and I promise that you will be amazed.

 2. Harlan Coben (Myron Bolitar Series)

…Drop Shot, Fade Away, Back Spin

 Really anything that Harlan Coben writes is gold and the Myron Bolitar series is no exception.  This is where Coben started and there are some genuine gems.  The main character, Myron Bolitar, is an arrogant sports agent who winds up in some very interesting (…to say the least) situations.  The books are funny, great for guys (…honestly, Coben transcends all gender gaps), and keep you guessing the entire time.

 3. Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp Series)

…Transfer of Power, Separation of Power, The Third Option

 This is the author that ignited the spark and made me love to read again after I rebelled against my mom (…yeah, I was a wild child and rebelled by saying that I hated to read…yeah, I’m a dork) in junior high.  Flynn’s run of masterpieces are built around the character of Mitch Rapp.  Rapp is a CIA assassin that must protect America by taking the war on terrorism right to the terrorists and it makes for an exciting thrill ride.

Plus, he is the creative consultant for the tv show, 24...maybe you have heard of it.  And I say this with the most respect to Jack Bauer but Mitch Rapp would kick the crap out of him.

 4. Brad Thor (Scott Harvath Series)

…Lions of Lucerne, Path of the Assasin, Blowback

 Cast from a similar mold as Vince Flynn, Thor builds his books around Secret Service agent Scott Harvath.  Harvath has killed his share of terrotists…just with his own unique flair.  Plus, the author’s name is Thor…that guarantees that it is going to be great for guys.

 5. Old School John Grisham

…The Firm, A Time to Kill, Pelican Brief  and The Partner

 Let me first say that I really am not a big fan of Grisham’s newer stuff.  Its good but nowhere near where it was when he first defined the genre of legal thriller.  Basically, he “jumped the shark” with some of his random recent stuff and hasn’t been able to recapture the magic of The Firm, A Time to Kill, The Partner, or The Pelican Brief.  I highly recommend Grisham and I promise that he will keep you engaged and thinking until the very last page.  His new stuff is good but his old stuff is phenomenal.


Thats my thoughts...check back soon for more recommendations.

BD

No comments: